Thursday, October 15, 2009

nxserver incompatibility with jboss ports

nxserver (see www.nomachine.com) is an amazing replacement for vncserver. I REALLY like it. It comes with great support like:
  1. clipboard copy/paste between your machine and the remote host that always works
  2. screen resolutions that adapt to your machine with zero headaches
  3. many more things...check it out!
However, I had some trouble when I installed it on a new Linux machine and then I tried to get my JBoss AS working. The problem is basically that the X Windows traffic ports for nxserver start at 7000. JBoss by default starts there too e.g. 7001.

The solution that in the end worked best for me was to just shutdown the nxserver sessions and running JBoss first. Then while JBoss is running start up the nxserver and connect. nxserver will skip over the ports being used by JBoss and use unused ports further up the 7000 range. 

NOTE: Even if nxserver is stopped there can be persistent sessions. You can check by running:
  • ps -ef | grep nxagent 
  • netstat -ap | grep nxagent 
Make sure they return no results. If there are results, shutdown the current sessions by logging in and logging out of the sessions manually. There is probably another way of killing the sessions but that is what I did.  

No comments: